If you haven’t already been convinced that food waste is a growing problem, these facts might just change your mind. Food waste has huge environmental, social and economic impacts. Keep reading to learn how wasting less food can save you money while you help save the world.
- Worldwide, one-third of all food is wasted. In developed countries, consumers are to blame for the majority of food waste. In developing countries, insufficient storage infrastructure and a lack of modern transportation can cause food to spoil before it reaches supermarket shelves. Another reason to be thankful for our safe and reliable food supply here in the United States.
- Food losses and waste amounts to roughly $680 billion in industrialized countries. That means an American family of four spends roughly $1,600 a year on wasted food. What could your family do with an extra $1,600 in the bank?
- Ninety percent of us throw away food too soon. Food lasts longer than you might think, especially if it’s stored properly. Learn how to interpret the dates on your food labels here.
- Every year, consumers in wealthy nations waste 222 million tons of food, almost as much as the entire net production of sub-Saharan Africa at 230 million tons. It’s shocking to think about how many hungry people our food waste could feed. In fact, if the United States wasted just 5 percent less food, it would be enough to feed 4 million people.
- If food waste were a country, it would be the third largest greenhouse gas emitter after China and the United States. Food waste generates 3.3 billion tons of greenhouse gas emissions globally. That’s a huge environmental impact!
Hopefully, these facts are ample motivation to start using up everything you buy at the grocery store! Download our meal planner and read more about how you can save money, use up wilted ingredients and store food for later.
Among the lush hills of central New York, the cows on Barbland Dairy enjoy nutritious, high-quali...
Just 30 minutes outside of Raleigh in Clayton, North Carolina, families can experience life on th...
Treat the freezer as an efficient, hardworking storage space and stock it thoughtfully with ingre...
Picked from the garden or purchased at the market, fresh herbs equal big flavor potential. Featur...
Want to discover a superhero hiding right in your pantry? Look no further than the humble bottle ...